On this course teachers learn why social and emotional intelligence is particularly important in language teaching and how social and emotional competences can be developed among both language teachers and learners. There will be an emphasis on the role of empathy in language education and how it can be fostered. There are a total of twenty contact hours. The course language is English but the course is suitable for teachers of other languages.
Sessions deals with the following themes:
- Research findings on social and emotional intelligence among language teachers, with special reference to the work of Sarah Mercer and Christina Gkonou.
- The ‘social and emotional intelligence’ brain and how it works.
- Using techniques from cognitive behavioural therapy to develop social and emotional competences.
- Using techniques from humanistic teaching to develop social and emotional competences.
- Using techniques from Slow Education to develop social and emotional competences.
- Barriers to empathy and how to overcome them..
- How to use art to foster empathy
- How to use Visual Thinking Strategies (VTS) to foster empathy in the language classroom
- How to use Visual Thinking Routines (VTR) to foster empathy in the language classroom
- How to use literature to foster empathy in the language classroom
- How to teach ‘active listening’ to foster empathy in the language classroom
Dates for 2020
Monday 29th June to Friday 3rd July
Monday 24th to Friday 28th August
Monday 14th to Friday 18th September
Monday to Friday, 9.30 – 11.30 and 12.00 – 14.00
Carrer Castillejos 326, Barcelona
€490. You can download these payment details.
Please fill in this form to register for the course.
The School for Training – All rights reserved